One of the first things that you will do after getting engaged is choosing your bridal party. But, how can you choose? There are so many wonderful people that have been a part of your life, that it can be very difficult to choose your bridal party for your wedding.
Here are a few tips to make it easier for you:
1. Discuss your vision with your fiancé
Sit down with your fiancé and discuss the type of bridal party that you would like to have. See what the right number would be for your wedding, such as:
Will you want to include couples or singles?
Will you want an even number of guys and gals?
Nowadays, there’s no norm or protocol that you have to conform with – it’s your call so choose what’s right for you!
2. Don’t give in to pressure
Don’t feel pressured or obligated to incorporate people you don’t truly want in your wedding party. There will be so many people with different opinions that they can make you go crazy!
- Don’t feel pressured to include that cousin that you haven’t seen since you were 12 just to please someone.
- Don’t feel pressured to include your brother’s current girlfriend of two months. Don’t feel pressured to include that friend that that you were a bridesmaid to but that you no longer have a close friendship with.
- Definitely include that friend that moved away when you were in sixth grade but that you talk to want to daily basis.
- Definitely include your besties!
When you choose your bridal party, choose the people that you know are going to be a part of your life from now, until forever
3. Be clear about time restraints
Choose people who will be willing to devote time and energy to you and your wedding. Let’s face it – you’re going to need a great support system and that’s what they have to do – support you! Choose your bridal party knowing that they will be adaptable and flexible and will be able to help you with anything!
4. Be clear about the financial aspect of being a bridesmaid
What about the financial aspect of being a bridesmaid? It’s not polite to talk about finances, but let’s be honest – being a bridesmaid can be quite costly!
This doesn’t mean that you should choose rich friends as your bridesmaids – on the contrary – you should choose friends knowing that this will be important to them and that this will also be an expense.
If you have friend that you want in your bridal party, for example, but she’s having financial difficulties, discuss this openly with her. Tell her you want her to be by your side on your wedding day and that you don’t want her to feel pressured to spend lots of money on your wedding. Let her know that your choice of dresses, for example, won’t be “haute-couture” and that you will keep in mind extra savings whenever cost-cutting can be made. You will be very happy that you chose her, in the long run.
5. Choose people who will be by your side – even at your worst!
Choose people who will be at your side and who you know will be there to support you and understand you as you plan your wedding. Choose people who will help you when you have a meltdown and will be crying tears of joy as you walk down the aisle.
And finally…FOLLOW YOUR HEART
When in doubt, follow your heart! I guarantee that 50 years from now you won’t regret your choices!